Vegan prescriptivism

Peter A. McGraw pmcgraw at LINFIELD.EDU
Fri Jun 29 15:19:41 UTC 2001

Lynn,

Would you care to share the site's URL with us?  (At least it didn't come
through in the message as I received it.)

See, I'm just dying to find out how to reform my speech and learn to speak
of someone looking like "a zucchini in the headlights" or being "quick like
a banana."

Peter

--On Friday, June 29, 2001 1:26 PM +0100 Lynne Murphy
<lynnem at COGS.SUSX.AC.UK> wrote:

> Just ran across this site which promotes 'animal friendly' alternatives to
> common sayings.  Includes suggestion that you say "I have a bean to pick
> with you" rather than "I have a bone to pick with you."
>
> I was actually looking to find other expressions where dog/cat are
> contrasted (other than 'raining cats & dogs' and 'fight like cats &
> dogs'). If you know of any, let me know, please.
>
> Lynne
>
> M Lynne Murphy
> Lecturer in Linguistics
> School of Cognitive and Computing Sciences
> University of Sussex
> Brighton BN1 9QH
> UK
>
> phone +44-(0)1273-678844