Coffee Cooler:Orange-Grapefruit Juice; Vichysoisse: NY Talk

Bapopik at AOL.COM Bapopik at AOL.COM
Sat Jun 30 21:33:02 UTC 2001

   One for the road.
   My next, next trip is Poland (crucial for "bialy" research) on August 26.  I've offered to take David Shulman.  I told him that if he doesn't have a passport ready or applied for when I get back, he's not going.  I'm tough.  Jesse Sheidlower (who met Shulman recently) can check up on this.

COFFEE COOLER

   Perfect for a day like this.  No, Dunkin' Donuts didn't coin it.
   From the NEW YORK HERALD TRIBUNE, 19 July 1938, pg. 18, col. 6:

   COFFEE COOLERS--Let coffee be the dinner dessert and coffee course in one on warm summer nights.  Pour warm coffee over glasses of chopped ice, then add a heaping spoon of iced coffee au lait, made with chocolate syrup and heavy cream.  Spicy coffee cooler is made with cloves and stick cinnamon in the brew.  Coffee ginger ale cream is a drink to serve from the cocktail shaker.  Iced coffee shake is blended in the same manner with carbonated water and milk.  Some time, try plain ice coffee with mint leaves that have been crushed with sugar.  Or give the usual iced coffee a difference by topping it with whipped cream to which has been added your choice of the following: sweetened chocolate syrup, cinnamon and nutmeg, grated bitter chocolate, a few drops of almond extract, oil of spearmint, or grated orange rind.  "Coffee Coolers" give all these recipes and directions too, for coffee ice cubes.

ORANGE-GRAPEFRUIT JUICE

   No, this wasn't coined by Tropicana.
   From the NEW YORK HERALD TRIBUNE, 22 August 1938, pg. 7, col. 7:

   MIXED FRUIT--An orange and grapefruit juice is on the market.  It has the color of the oranges, but the grapefruit flavor predominates.  A good drink, not as cloudy as most canned citrus juices and not at all bitter.  Good in any mixed fruit drink.

VICHYSOISSE (continued)

   From the Clementine Paddleford column in the NEW YORK HERALD TRIBUNE, 12 AUgust 1938, pg. 9, col. 6:

   Lucius Beebe, our Saturday neighbor on this page, mentioned creme vichysoisse one week in July and gave a recipe coming from a restaurant kitchen where this particular cold soup is really one of the things to have.  Ever since, readers have been phoning the Home Institute to ask for a home-size recipe.  We have made vichysoisse (slur the words together like vishee-swahzz) twice this week and now have the restaurant's recipe down to amounts for six helpings.  It's a cold soup, as we said, made with leeks, or use green onions; there are chopped chives in it and sliced potatoes and stock of veal or chicken.  It is whitened with cream and very delicate as to flavor, but hearty, too.  Make it in the early morning and let it chill through the day for the evening meal.  Scallops with anchovy crumbs will make the family shove closer to their plates.  (...)

MELI-MELO

   OED?
   From the NEW YORK HERALD TRIBUNE, 29 AUgust 1938, pg. 7, col. 7:

   Orange Curacao offers its heavy sweet fragrance to our usual serving of fresh fruits called Meli-Melo.

NEW YORK TALK

   From the NEW YORK HERALD TRIBUNE, editorials, 26 August 1938, pg. 16, col. 3:

   _New York Talk_
   In the current issue of "The American Mercury" Mr. Hugh Morrison works himself into a high state of frenzy and indignation over the peculiar language which, he asserts, is spoken by the residents of New York.
(Too long to copy.  Some dese/dem/dose.  Cut to the end--ed.)
   Can we, by the time the World's Fair starts next year, get over saying "Longguyland"?  It is to be doubted.