Question regarding phallic symbols

Laurence Horn laurence.horn at YALE.EDU
Thu Mar 1 02:07:10 UTC 2001

Well, yes, I've encountered "yonic" (from the Sanskrit noun "yoni"),
and it would relate unambiguously to the female genitalia, but its
counterpart SHOULD be not the Greek-derived "phallic" but an
adjective derived from its male counterpart in Sanskrit, "lingam".
Didn't the Greeks have a word for the female counterpart of the
phallos?

larry