dialect in novels

James A. Landau JJJRLandau at AOL.COM
Fri Mar 2 15:36:36 UTC 2001

In a message dated 3/2/01 9:16:27 AM Eastern Standard Time, douglas at NB.NET
writes:

<< >The rule may be arbitrary but it is unambigous.  When referring to people
(or
 >objects) in the real world, the plural is "dwarfs".  "Dwarves" (as in "Snow
 >Whie and the Seven Dwarves") is used only in fantasy.

 In which standard American reference is this rule found? >>

None.  I deduced the existence of a rule based on evidence which I had just
cited.
My apologies.  I really should have made it clear that I was generalizing on
my own initiative.

       - Jim Landau