Juan de Fuca

Boatti, Stephen SBoatti at TVRATINGS.COM
Fri Mar 2 16:36:14 UTC 2001

My Webster's New World tells me fuchsia was named (by Linnaeus, no less)
after L. Fuchs (1501-66), German botanist.

Steve

 -----Original Message-----
From:   Mark_Mandel at dragonsys.com [mailto:Mark_Mandel at dragonsys.com]
Sent:   Friday, March 02, 2001 11:27 AM
To:     ADS-L at LISTSERV.UGA.EDU
Subject:        Re: Juan de Fuca

"Boatti, Stephen" <SBoatti at TVRATINGS.COM> writes:

Why is that salacious? Fuchsia is pronounced 'fyoo-shuh.'
<<<<<

And often misspelled *fuschia, as people who know the pronunciation try to
figure out the spelling and, not unreasonably, take refuge in the German
graph <sch> = "sh". I presume it was named after someone surnamed "Fuchs",
which is pronounced [fju:ks], rhyming with "Luke's".

-- Mark A. Mandel