dialect in novels

lesa.dill lesa.dill at WKU.EDU
Fri Mar 2 17:08:54 UTC 2001

Interesting!I remember once in a biology seminar commenting that the speaker
had attributed to his experimental subjects, in that case, spiders, a
altruistic characteristic because he had perceived it from a human
perspective--anthropomorphism in a very subtle way.  The same thing held in an
evolution class when a student made a statement about natural selection.  The
female finch  knew to choose the alpha male because he would give her
offspring the best chances of survival in the future.  Spiders that feel and
psychic finches.  It strikes me, as Sali suggests, that to attribute rules is
to presuppose some sort of conscious, end-result knowing.  Rules are probably
an artifact (as scientists use the word).  That doesn't make them any less
useful, but it surely does make up realign our thinking.  I'm sure we'd all
agree that we aren't knowingly directing the course of language evolution or
the structure underlying it.

Lesa