dialect in novels

Bob Fitzke fitzke at VOYAGER.NET
Fri Mar 2 23:12:37 UTC 2001

I think an exception can only arise if there is something from which it
is excepted. Exceptions to a rule have no "status" without a rule in
place from which they deviate. My thought was simply that possibly
enough exceptions (to a rule) of a similar nature can be identified so
as to constitute a new rule in and of themselves. For example, there are
a number of exceptions to the hearsay rule in law. One of the categories
of exceptions is business records. This is a somewhat fluid group and,
in effect, is open-ended. Thus, the business records exception has
become a sub-rule and might even be considered as a rule of evidence all
by itself.

Bob