All Your Base Are Belong To Us

Tony Glaser tonyglaser at MINDSPRING.COM
Sat Mar 3 02:00:03 UTC 2001

Is anyone familiar with the "All Your Base Are Belong To Us"
phenomenon? Is this the first time that a mistranslated Japanese
phrase has entered the English language world in such a big way? I've
seen various items of Japanese English pseudo-nonsense, mainly
written on cheap backpacks, carrier bags, or sneakers, but I haven't
seen any which have been promulgated by native English speakers as a
result. It seems it's really becoming a catch-phrase.

(If not, check out articles at
http://hubert.retrogames.com/history.htm
http://www.salon.com/tech/inbox/archives/2001/02/27/1424/index.html

or the baffling thing itself at