On the House (1955)

Bapopik at AOL.COM Bapopik at AOL.COM
Mon Mar 5 22:01:59 UTC 2001

   (Sorry for two servings of Roquefort Dressing.  The AOL message didn't go through, so I sent the exact same thing from JUNO.  I thought that ADS-L bounced messages that are exactly the same...I just walked 30 blocks to the NYPL to get in two hours of work, and then was told that they're closing two hours early for the weather--B.P.)

ON THE HOUSE
By Matty Simmons and Don Simmons
Coward-McCann, Inc. New York
1955

(This book discusses restaurants in several major U. S. cities.  I had time to copy part of it--ed.)

Pg. 166:
CARRIBBEAN ROOM, Pontchartrain Hotel, 2031 St. Charles Avenue, MA 6543.
   (...)  The most popular dessert is ice cream pie, six inches thick and a tasty parting salvo to any fine dinner.
(This would be the first cite for "mile high pie."  This is a New Orleans restaurant; it's followed by the telephone number--ed.)

Pg. 205:
BARDELLI'S, 243 O'Farrel Street, YU 2-0243.
   ...Chicken Jerusalem...
(This is a  San Francisco restaurant--ed.)

Pg. 245:
PAUL'S DUCK PRESS
2353 East Olympic Boulevard, MA 9-8336
   (...)  Perhaps the best recommendation for the restaurant is that most dining historians credit Paul Maggiora with originating the Caesar salad, this at a restaurant he owned in Tia Juana in 1930.

(No "Mongolian barbecue," which would be popular in the 1960s--ed.)