Who is "she"?

Rudolph C Troike rtroike at U.ARIZONA.EDU
Tue Mar 6 08:20:48 UTC 2001

A colleague of mine just asked me who "she" is in the song "She'll Be
Comin' 'Round the Mountain When She Comes". As it is one of my old
childhood favorites, I somehow thought I knew, but realized I didn't.
I asked my mother (now 97), who said it could be anyone whose arrival was
anticipated, and could even be "he" instead of "she" (though perhaps women
more often came for a visit to relatives than did men), depending on the
situation.
        Does anyone have a better answer to the mystery?

        Rudy