"hole punch" (semi-followup on "chad")

Bob Haas highbob at MINDSPRING.COM
Tue Mar 6 19:24:38 UTC 2001

Doesn't one use a "keypunch" to prepare cards for data entry?  I remember
learning to operate one for my chemistry lab when I was freshman.  And then
there's the "keypunch operator," the true expert who's proficient with the

> From: Jesse Sheidlower <jester at PANIX.COM>
> Reply-To: American Dialect Society <ADS-L at LISTSERV.UGA.EDU>
> Date: Tue, 6 Mar 2001 12:05:14 -0500
> Subject: "hole punch" (semi-followup on "chad")
> Have any of you "chad" scholars found an example of "hole punch"
> (meaning either 'device used to punch holes in paper' or 'small
> piece of paper created by such a device') before 1967? The
> ADS-L discussion of "chad" has a lot of stuff about punching
> holes, but I'm looking for this collocation itself.
> Thanks.
> Jesse Sheidlower

More information about the Ads-l mailing list