Job-title inflation (was: linguisticians)

Peter A. McGraw pmcgraw at LINFIELD.EDU
Wed Mar 7 01:10:07 UTC 2001

If we're on job-title inflation more generally now, how about that curious
example of recent years, "sex worker" for "prostitute"?  I don't understand
the impulse behind linguistically elevating the status of this particular
profession.  I assume it must be related to some aspect of the feminist
agenda, but the connection is unclear to me.

Since "worker" isn't a very glamorous title, though, it's probably only a
matter of time before we read of police sting operations aimed at nabbing
"love technicians."

Peter Mc.

--On Tuesday, March 6, 2001 6:29 PM -0600 Mark Odegard