Food miscellany (Texas books)

Bapopik at AOL.COM Bapopik at AOL.COM
Thu Mar 8 07:07:57 UTC 2001

60 MINUTES II & PERSONAL

   David Shulman said that several people in the library and on the subway recognized him, and he's thinking of buying dark glasses.
   I was disappointed in 60 MINUTES II.  It didn't have what I watch tv for--hot babes.  Jesse Sheidlower saying "babelicious" just isn't the same thing!  Where was his better half?  Where were those babes??
   FWIW, I will be leaving Friday morning for Costa Rica and Belize, and I'll be back March 26.

SODA FOUNTAIN MANAGEMENT

   Not to be confused with the SODA FOUNTAIN.  A minor publication from NY State.

January 1945, SODA FOUNTAIN MANAGEMENT, pg. 38, col. 1--We were just wondering who started "An etching is fetching, but liquor is quicker" on its rounds.

June 1943, SODA FOUNTAIN MANAGEMENT, pg. 18, col. 1:
_Purple Cow_
Into a mixing container put:
   2 ounces Grape Juice
   4 ounces cold milk
   2 No. 20 scoops ice cream
   Mix on your malted milk mixer until smooth and creamy.  Serve in glass or paper cup.

AUTHENTIC TEXAS CAFES
By Susan Ellis Kennard and Ed Kennard
Texas Monthly Press, 1986

Pg. 10:  A Curley-Q Tater goes with it.  (That's a fried sliced potato in one continuous piece that looks like a pig's tail.)

Pg. 16:  The other favorites are "calf fries" (better known to us as "mountain oysters")...

Pg. 51:  It's "an all you can eat, except for the meat" proposition...

Pg. 145:  We saw lots of kids wearing T-shirts that proclaimed, "Life is a Beach."

Pg. 157:  Desserts include homemade pies as well as Bea's famous Cinderella cake--made with pumpkin and frosted with buttercream icing.

Pg. 161:  ..._pericos_--a sort of loaded nacho.

THE INTERSTATE GOURMET
TEXAS AND THE SOUTHWEST
by Barbara Rodriguez and Tom Miller
Summit Books, NY
1986

Pg. 61:  Next trip we're gonna try the poco loco (chicken thighs broiled in butter and garlic) and homemade Mexican hot chocolate.

Pg. 69:  ...and learn why the ultimate Mexican accolade is to say a dish is "finger-sucking."

Pg. 113:  ...bear claws (filled with blueberries and pecans).

Pg. 131:  ...Pancakes Oscar (buckwheat pancakes layered with marshmallow meringue and hot strawberry sauce)...

Pg. 140:  Where there's barbecue and handmade flour tortillas, you'll find that South Texas staple, the mariachi (soft tortilla tacos).
(OED??  Not in Mariani--ed.)

Pg. 153:  ..."Kurly Q's," sliced thin and fried into curls.

Pg. 166:  Two freshly grilled slices of what we always called "Texas" toast cushioned our ribs' basket and proved more interesting than many a doughy relative to the south.
(Many "Texas Toast" cites in both books, but nothing to really record or follow up on--ed.)

Pg. 186:  Particularly appealing were the picarros (rhymes with "seek-a-rose"), mixed pork and beef in a deep-fried corn tortilla, served with rice and beans ($3.50 for three).  The Navajo taco--a fried tortilla beneath refried beans, lettuce, cheese, and tomato--appealed to three fellows...

Pg. 191:  Spicy ground beef and frijoles smothered under chile sauce, cheese, and onions is called a Sloppy Jose ($4.50).

Pg. 206:  We like the "wrappers" too--that's barbecue talk for wrapping a piece of brisket in a slice of bread, laying on some sauce and going at it ($4.50).

Pg. 214:  ...Shrimp Aromatic ($19.50)--shrimp flambeed in pernod and topped with a curried cream sauce, spiked with dill, paprika, and cayenne, and a hearts of palm and Texas vine-ripened tomato salad ($5.50).

Pg. 221:  Corsicana's contributions to the culinary history of the world include Wolf Brand Chili, created here (The Family Tree, Corsicana, TX--ed.) in 1895 by a ranch cook, and the Deluxe Fruitcake, baked by Collins Street Bakery since 1896 and shipped all over the world.

TEXAS BARBECUE
by Paris Permenter & John Bigley
Pig Out Publications, Kansas CIty, MO
1994

Pg. 17:  ...or a spicy hot link version.  (Hill Country Smokehouse, Burnet--ed.)

Pg. 33:  ...a B.A.L.T. (bacon, avocado, lettuce, and tomato)...

Pg. 41:  The Club House even has a B-Y-O-M (bring your own meat) feature.  You can bring in your own meat, and they'll smoke it for you.

Pg. 47:  We ordered a sausage wrap, with a generous length of sausage wrapped in a flour tortilla.

WALTER JETTON'S
LBJ BARBECUE COOK BOOK
by Walter Jetton with Arthur Whitman
Pocket Books, NY
1965

Pg. 25, col. 2:
_Texas Wieners_
8 all-beef wieners
2 large onions, sliced
2 tablespoons butter
4 ounces barbecue sauce
Cover the wieners in water and heat them on the grill, being sure they are kept below boiling for 30 minutes or so.  While they are heating, slice the onions into a skillet with the butter and cook just till the rings come loose.  Remove from heat and add the barbecue sauce.  Put the weiners on a bun or plate and top them with this sauce-and-onion mixture.

Pg. 72, col. 2:  Texas Corn Bread (Why no "Texas Toast" entry?--ed.)