flips and gasmeters

Douglas G. Wilson douglas at NB.NET
Thu Mar 8 15:28:55 UTC 2001

>>  ... "Vol Vistu Gaily Star" (Spanish? Portuguese?)
>
>No, this is Yiddish too, at least partly

What does it mean?

Listening to the piece, I hear something like /... val visto geili sta, val
visto geili sta, val visto geili sta, laam[b]Elou; manja manja manja mi,
.../. I can see "val vistu" as something like "was willst du" but the
pronunciation of /val/ here is not /vas/ although it might be /van/ in some
iterations. At the end of the piece, somebody asks what the title means,
and the answer is "Don't mean a thing ... jive talk ...."

>You sure it wasn't the gefilte fish with the horseradish?

"Matzoh balls [and] gefilte fish ... Now you put a little horseradish on it
... Bring me a side order of matzoh balls! ... Matzoh balls, gefilte fish,
with a little horseradish on the side ... Horseradish with matzoh balls!
... Matzoh ball stew!"

-- Doug Wilson