flips and gasmeters

Baker, John JBaker at STRADLEY.COM
Thu Mar 8 17:57:44 UTC 2001

        We have to be careful not to impose our own inflated ideas of money
on Slim and Slam.  My parents, who were whites in rural Kentucky, have told
me many times how in the 1930s a man would work 12 hours of hard labor for a
dollar ("and be glad to get it, too," they would always add).  I doubt if
Slim and Slam's target audience was any more affluent.

John Baker