flips and gasmeters

Baker, John JBaker at STRADLEY.COM
Fri Mar 9 03:02:30 UTC 2001

        You forget how many people were desperately poor in 1940, or had
been in recent memory.  What middle-class people might have been able to pay
didn't matter, and if it was an exaggeration to say that people worked 12
hours of hard labor for $1, it wasn't much of one.  These were people with
little cash and few options, for whom the minimum wage law had no de facto
application.  Of course, my knowledge is of rural whites, not urban blacks,
but I suspect that their cash-flow situations were comparable in that
respect.

        In terms of what this means for the quoted terms, I assume that a
flip was a coin, probably a nickle, dime, or quarter.  I suppose that a
gasmeter may have been a dollar bill.

John Baker