to suss (Was Re: dwarves etc.)

Michael Quinion editor at WORLDWIDEWORDS.ORG
Fri Mar 9 18:45:32 UTC 2001

> The columns that I looked at strongly suggest that it is
> actually Sewell's job to do the (by now, well-worn) "kooky
> out-of-control curmudgeon" schtick, which mandates
> outrageously exuberant attacks on anything considered new or
> trendy.

That's correct, and he uses his cut-glass English accent to
considerable effect in his radio and television appearances to
accentuate the effect of his opinions in a very knowing way.
He's actually a great deal sharper than he appears.

--
Michael Quinion
Editor, World Wide Words