FAG one last time

davemarc davemarc at PANIX.COM
Fri Mar 9 22:46:49 UTC 2001

From: davemarc <davemarc at PANIX.COM>
To: <ADS-L at LISTSERV.UGA.EDU>
Sent: Friday, March 09, 2001 11:27 AM
Subject: Re: FAG one last time

> Has anyone looked over the writings of "fringe" (for lack of a better
term)
> writers such as Tristan Taormino for citations of "fag" and "faggot"?  Her
> writing can be found at www.villagevoice.com (she's a columnist with the
> Voice) and, I believe, at www.puckerup.com

Okay, I did you folks a favor and took my own advice.  I went to the Voice
site and did a search for "fag taormino."  Came up with plenty.  Example:

*Lots of gay and lesbian viewers are wetting themselves over the new
Showtime series Queer as Folk, which follows the lives of fags and dykes in
Pittsburgh. When it comes to the boys, Queer as Folk definitely gets it
right, but sadly there are far fewer lesbians on the show, and the ones we
do get are bickering, jealous bitches who just want to have kids and settle
down. We've still got a long way to go. The show is being applauded for
pulling no punches when it comes to the depiction of gay and lesbian lives.
Words like "real," "uninhibited," and "gutsy" are simply euphemistic
references to the show's explicit content-yes, they actually show you said
queer people being sexual. In the world of gay TV, that's revolutionary
stuff. On network television, while straight people routinely romp around in
their underwear and grope each other, the supposedly slutty Jack of Will and
Grace has never even been seen in bed with another man.*

I'll leave it to folks like Barry to present the rest of 'em.

I also found numerous citations of "faggot" at the Voice.  At first glance,
most appeared to have a negative connotation.  But there did seem to be
cases where it was somewhat accepted within some sectors of some gay
communities.

Maybe it has to do with "fringe" (perhaps "fringe" elements are more likely
to use the harsher language) and writing style (using the harsher language
lends an edge and expands the vocabulary repertoire).

Still not a linguist,

David