/ay/+ g

Laurence Horn laurence.horn at YALE.EDU
Mon Mar 19 09:59:19 UTC 2001

At 11:16 AM +0800 3/19/01, Megan Jones wrote:
>Highgate
>Ryegate
>diglossia
>Saigon
>zygon
>

>On Fri, 16 Mar 2001 18:47:04 -0500 t.irons at MOREHEAD-ST.EDU (TERRY IRONS)
>wrote:
>
>>On Fri, 16 Mar 2001, Kirk Hazen wrote:
>>
>>>  Dear Folk,
>>>
>>>  I am in search of English words with /ay/ before a voiced velar stop
>>>  /g/.  I have "tiger" but need more including some with /g/ in the same
>>>  syllable.
>>>

>>migrate, migratory, migration
>>migraine
>>migrant
>>geiger
>>
>  >Names:  Steiger, Eigner

I would say that NONE of these except for "Eigner" has the -g in the
same syllable as the diphthong.  And "Eigner" is a non-English name.
The closest I think we can come is "Tige" as a hypocoristic (or,
alternatively, "Geig" for a geiger counter).  If we're doing names,
though, a clear case is Steig (the cartoonist and children's writer
and illustrator).  Or "bag" in the appropriate dialect.

larry