Grafter. and hovercraft

Tony Glaser tonyglaser at MINDSPRING.COM
Wed Mar 21 02:01:08 UTC 2001

>>I am pretty certain. The use of "hard graft" or a "grafter" to mean
>>hard work is common in British English.
>>Tony Glaser
>So. Saying that Tony Blair is into 'hard graft' is a compliment in BrE?

Yes, I think so. But I would have to see the context. Of course, this
could be another one of those homonym jokes.

BTW, this evening CNN Headline News had a piece on hovercraft
icebreakers being used in Canada, and the narrator repeatedly talked
about "hovercrafts". In BrE, where the word is more common (as
hovercraft are, or used to be, used a lot for cross-Channel
transport) the plural would be without the -s. I wonder if the
reporter talks of spacecrafts or aircrafts?

Tony Glaser

More information about the Ads-l mailing list