Scotticisms

Wed Mar 21 17:34:04 UTC 2001

Not just Pittsburghese!  As we've said before on this list, Pittsburgh
isn't as unique dialectally as it thinks it is.  Western PA forms extend
into southern Ohio and westward throughout the South Midland.  Of the
listed forms below, 'red up', 'slippy', and (more rarely) 'fornent' are
still used around here.  And does anyone know 'brigady' (various spellings
are found)?