schlorgers and s(c)hlongers

Laurence Horn laurence.horn at YALE.EDU
Fri Mar 23 07:32:53 UTC 2001

At 2:26 PM -0500 3/23/01, James A. Landau wrote:

>Note the adjective "big" in "big schlorgers".  The writer would use "big" to
>describe the size of the men's sex organs rather than the size of the men.
>Hence I deduce "schlorger" = "penis" rather than "soldier".
>
>By analogy with "trouser serpent" = "penis", the derivation German "Schlange"
>= "snake" is plausible.

I'm virtually positive the deduction is right, and I concur with the
connection with "Schlange" or Yinglish "shlong", although I agree
with an earlier poster on the weakness of a Yiddish derivation in the
Civil War era--so it's more like the German snake word gave rise to
both "schlonger" and the Yiddish/Yinglish "shlong(er)".  (I adopt
Jim's hypothesis of a scribal error or misreading to yield
"schlorger".)

While google.com turns up no instances of "s(c)hlorger", there are
plenty of "s(c)hlongers", along with their more numerous "shlong"
cousins.  Indeed, from one (fairly feeble) limerick site we have both
of the following:
==========
The prez was inhaling a bong
And thinking "I just can't go wrong
My wife is pragmatic
And won't give me static
For showing our friends 'Captain Schlong'"

The man with the world's largest penis
Took his bride to a Doctor McEnus
He said "Ye know 'bout me shlonger            [can this meter be
salvaged?  --ed.]
Can't ye make me wife longer?
I want nothing should e'er come between us!"
==========
at another ("Josh's page of useless crap"), we have these putatively...

Quality Pick-Up lines:

"Polevaulters know how to use their rod"
"If you were a booger I'd pick you first"
"I miss my teddy bear. Would you sleep with me?"
"I got big hands...big feet...and a big shlonger"
and at another, we have this enlightening colloquy:

lapse: and I got mosquito bites on my shlonger
B-Sharp: heh
Avium: I'll bet mosquito bites on your penis would feel good