deliberate misspellings

leslie savan savan at EROLS.COM
Mon Mar 26 22:36:35 UTC 2001

Has anyone written about deliberate misspellings and letter substitutions, especially in Hip Hop-influenced culture? I'm not asking about "eye dialect" (at least I don't think I am), but rather, for example, about substituting Z for S (skillz, boyz) and other kinds of respellings (stoopid, sucka). Companies have been doing this for years to gain attention (from Beanz Meanz Heinz to Miller Lite), but has anyone looked into the history of deliberate misspellings in Hip Hop and possibly in earlier AAVE?