"out of left field" (Why "left"?)

Johanna N Franklin johannaf+ at ANDREW.CMU.EDU
Tue Mar 27 20:15:03 UTC 2001

    I've heard a story about this - be forewarned that I don't remember
the details anymore, such as who the ball player was.  I think it was
Babe Ruth, though...

    So once upon a time, there was a fabulous hitter who would hit into
right field.  Of course, when kids would go to the games, they would sit
there to try to catch a ball.  Any kid who sat on the other side of the
diamond was a little strange and thus "out in left field."

    I think it's a bit too cute to be true, but it's amusing.  Has
anyone else heard it?

    Johanna

Excerpts from mail: 27-Mar-101 Re: "out of left field" (Wh.. by Bob
Haas at MINDSPRING.COM