JAZZ <-- JASS

Barnhart ADS-L at HIGHLANDS.COM
Thu Mar 29 13:58:28 UTC 2001

Rudy Troike wrote:

> (I suppose lexicographers don't consider these
>"texts" to be used for citation, but they certainly seem to be valid
>evidence.)

There has been a growing recognition among lexicographers over the last
couple (I hesitate to use several because it makes me feel so eligible
for senior citizenship) of decades for oral evidence as from radio and
T.V.  Indeed, there are some quotes in The Barnhart Dictionary of New
English (c. 1973) taken from BBC, as I recall.  More definitely, there
are many quotes in The Barnhart Dictionary Companion taken from radio
broadcasts--in recent years from BBC and NPR in particular.

Regards,
David

David K. Barnhart, Editor
The Barnhart Dictionary Companion [quarterly]
barnhart at highlands.com
www.highlands.com/Lexik

"Necessity obliges us to neologize."
Thomas Jefferson-August 16, 1813