Y'all and No?

Herb Stahlke hstahlke at GW.BSU.EDU
Thu Mar 29 21:05:35 UTC 2001

Now we're getting to something worth duelling over.

As to ye/you, the suggestion that ye has become unstressed y@ makes some sense since it would more likely be topic and so unstressed.  The same would often happen to you, of course, but you would also remain as the focus form, the same thing that's still happening to object pronouns in English.  Mencken has some nice observations on this.

Herb

>>> LJT777 at AOL.COM 03/29/01 02:31PM >>>
I thought it was "git" that was discarded.