Dixie Dictionary (1961)

Bapopik at AOL.COM Bapopik at AOL.COM
Fri Mar 30 00:40:43 UTC 2001

A DIXIE DICTIONARY AND GUIDE BOOK:
A REBEL'S REFERENCE BOOK
Roanoke, VA
Confederate Air Corps
1961
(WorldCat entry.  WorldCat has this in four places only--U. of So. Miss., UVA, Auburn, and Birmingham.  Anybody have it?--ed.)

   From the NEW YORK HERALD TRIBUNE, Travel & Resorts section four, 28 April 1963, pg. 10, col. 1:

   _Rebel's Reference Book:_  While we are mooning about the dear, deep South, it would seem appropriate to take notice of a slim pamphlet that arrived in a recent mail.  It carries the intriguing title, "Guide Book & Dixie Dictionary," and sells for "50 cents, Yankee Money."
(...)
   Among the definitions in the dictionary we find:
   _Auto_--"I auto go to work, but Ahm tared."
   _Ax_--"Ah ax you this."
   _Barn_--"I was barn in Kentucky."
   _Balks_ (a square thang)--Like a "match balks."
   _Did_--"He's did."
   _Gull_--"A young female human."
   _Rat cheer_ (not there)--"Lay it rat cheer."
   _Yawl_--Not me, you, as "yawl" come to see me.
   The slim pamphlet is chock full of other useless information, such as a glossary of southern foods.  Grits?  That's "Georgia ice-cream."  And you are directed to say, "Kindly pass them grits, as there is no such thing as one grit."