More on "JASS"

Rudolph C Troike rtroike at U.ARIZONA.EDU
Fri Mar 30 09:22:15 UTC 2001

Thanks to David and Gerald for their responses. I'm pleased to hear that
at least one dictionary is utilizing radio and TV broadcasts for data.

The "textual" example of "JASS" that I was referring to was not a spoken
comment, but rather a photograph of a sign in front of a building, which
appeared in Ken Burns' TV series "Jazz". The narration indicated a general
dating for the picture, but it is the photograph itself that I was raising
the question about as to whether this was sufficiently "textual" to be
treated lexicographically as evidence. Presumably with some digging, the
source of the photo can be unearthed, and its approximate date determined.
My impression was that the implication was that the photo was pre-1913,
but I could be wrong.
        --Rudy