Generation D

Bruce Dykes bkd at GRAPHNET.COM
Fri Mar 30 10:25:20 UTC 2001

----- Original Message -----
From: "TERRY IRONS" <t.irons at MOREHEAD-ST.EDU>
To: <ADS-L at LISTSERV.UGA.EDU>
Sent: Thursday, March 29, 2001 18:27
Subject: Generation D

> A current ad for WorldCom uses the phrase Generation D.  Is this simply
> an ad/pr slogan, or does the phrase have any currency in use?

No. Strictly an ad/pr thing.

But this does bring up the question of "generation+(single letter)"

I think the oldest example I've seen is Billy Idol's old band, Generation
X...that's late 70's/early 80's...that was adopted for the kids who are now
late 20's/early 30's, while the next batch of teen spenders was
unimaginatively labeled generation Y...and now the most recent example
outside of the Worldcom ads is 'Generation O', a cartoon about a band named,
well, Generation O, after their lead singer, a young girl named Molly O.

bkd