"Shinny" in Harper Lee's TO KILL A MOCKINGBIRD

Laurence Horn laurence.horn at YALE.EDU
Fri Mar 30 01:08:40 UTC 2001

At 1:01 AM -0500 3/30/01, Bapopik at AOL.COM wrote:
>    From the NEW YORK HERALD TRIBUNE (Clementine Paddleford column),
>23 May 1963, pg. 18, col. 2:
>
>_The Hot Dog_
>    One of the troubles we find when digging into the hot dog's
>genealogy is that the trail grows cold after 3,000 years.  Shall we
>start as now?
>    The first hot dog to bear the name is said to have appeared at
>the Polo Grounds in New York in 1900.
>
>(THAT'S IT!  I'M WRITING A LETTER TO THE NEW YORK HERALD TRIBUNE
>RIGHT NOW!!--ed.)

Now, now.  As we have had ample cause to witness, it is unfortunately
the case that the first hot dog to bear the name has indeed been
said--quite often--to have appeared at the Polo Grounds around 1900,
give or take a couple of years, and to have been immortalized by
"TAD" Dorgan.  That this is apocrypha, well,...that's why we need
that book!  Maybe we can save other newspapers from the fate of the
(non-International) Herald Trib at the hands of the Almighty Fact
Checker.

larry