Generation D

Jesse Sheidlower jester at PANIX.COM
Fri Mar 30 17:30:42 UTC 2001

> Nice.  Speaking of which, does anyone have a first cite on Generation
> X, used to refer to the actual generation in question (however
> defined) and not to the punk-rock band that may or may not have given
> rise to the generation?  AHD4 cites Douglas Coupland's eponymous
> novel as the source, but that was published in 1991 and I would have
> guessed the term antedated the novel.  In fact, here's one random
> cite from 1989 via Nexis:

The well-known "early" example of _Generation X_ apart from
the name of a punk band in 1977 (featuring Billy Idol) is
as the title of 1964 pop-sociology book about disaffected
youth in Britain.

It is quite possible, though, that a certain historical
dictionary is sitting on an early 1950s example that will
be publicized in due course.

I would also ask Larry to qualify his "the actual generation
in question (however defined)," since _Generation X_ is often
felt to refer specifically to the post-baby-boom generation,
and thus an example referring to disaffected youth who are
not part of the U.S. post-baby-boom generation may not
count for his purpose.

Jesse Sheidlower