jazz

Gareth Branwyn garethb2 at EARTHLINK.NET
Fri Mar 30 20:50:51 UTC 2001

Popik's Law strikes again. I always share the ADS-L discussions on the
origins of "jazz" with my wife, Pam Bricker, who's a well known jazz
singer here in Wash., D.C. She recently brought me a copy of the
Washington Post review of the Burn's series (from Sat., Jan. 7) and
said: "See, they were using the word jazz as early as 1910." On page G4,
there's an image of Buddie Petit's New Orleans Jazz Band. The word
"jazz" is visible on the bass drum. The date of the picture in the
caption is given as "circa 1910." It's credited to the "Frank Diggs
Collection." A quick Web search determines that Buddie Petit's New
Orleans Jazz Band was circa 1920, not '10.