Military industrial complex lays Pommy lexicographer low

Jesse Sheidlower jester at PANIX.COM
Tue May 1 13:47:08 UTC 2001

> Not sure whether it was intended that way, but "yonder" has evidently
> become a noun (usually modified by a color specifier) through this
> particular verse.  The OED has, in addition to a nonce (hapax?)
> (oncer?) use by Meredith of "yonder" as a substantive,

In our citation database, most of our examples of _yonder_ noun are
in some construction like "wild blue yonder." However, we do have this
unusual citation of _yonder_ noun, the interpretation of which I
leave as an exercise for the reader:

1996 A. Warner _Outlying Station_ in H. Ritchie _New Scottish Writing_
209 If I had _yonder_ in there for a daughter and the storms that are
brewing for her future I'd take myself up in those woods with a good
length of rope and a fine bottle of malt.

Jesse Sheidlower
OED