Military industrial complex lays Pommy lexicographer low

Peter A. McGraw pmcgraw at LINFIELD.EDU
Tue May 1 15:55:10 UTC 2001

I'll have to dissent from the consensus that seems to exist that "yonder"
has to be a noun here.  I don't think I ever parsed the song that way
conscously or unconsciously, and it's been a surprise to read that others
have.  It may be true, as dInIs writes, that "'Yonder' cannot be adverbial
unless there is some falling tone ('juncture') on the preceding element" in
normal intonation, but for me, at least, this tone pattern would be lost if
primary stress were placed on "yonder" for contrast or emphasis--e.g., (Not
the wild blue here,) "the wild blue YONDER."  The same pattern could occur
with other adverbial elements, e.g., (Not the wild blue down here,) "the
wild blue UP THERE," without any danger of having "up there" parsed as a
noun by the listener.

Sure I've heard a derivative "wild blue yonder" where "yonder" clearly
functioned as the noun, but I've always thought the user of it was
conscious of its origin and was deliberately altering its grammar.

I know there isn't an overt context of emphasis or contrast in the song,
but I would think "musical license" (if that's what you'd call it) would
allow a song to use the pattern if it was convenient for the melody (which
in this case requires steadily rising notes for obvious reasons of imagery).

Peter Mc

--On Tuesday, May 1, 2001 9:14 AM -0400 "Dennis R. Preston"

                               Peter A. McGraw
                   Linfield College   *   McMinnville, OR
                            pmcgraw at linfield.edu