Shitepoke

Peter Richardson prichard at LINFIELD.EDU
Tue May 1 17:01:26 UTC 2001

I've heard this bird name only as "shypoke"--from the Ozarks, where the
birds are numerous along the White River in Arkansas. No matter what the
etymology might be, the current connection with defecation/bathroom is
likely to stem from the printed version of the name rather than its spoken
version, which clearly contains a long vowel. The "shy" could then be
ascribed to either euphemism or popular etymology.

PR