Bride-Elect

Baker, John JBaker at STRADLEY.COM
Thu May 3 14:07:56 UTC 2001

        It seems to be an older term than I would have supposed.  A quick
web search turned up several uses, many from the Victorian period; the
following is only a sampling.  Dates are those given on the Internet and
have not been verified.

        Littell's Living Age, March 15, 1845, reprinted in
http://www.moonstonerp.com/18th/18thcomp.html.

        Sousa operetta and march, The Bride Elect (1897).

        Hardy, In the Room of the Bride-Elect (1911), copy at
http://homepages.tesco.net/~gary.alderson/bride.htm.

        And, of course, there is Gilbert's use of "mother-in-law elect" in
The Mikado (1885).

John Baker