"Acks" (or "axe") for "ask"

Ramcreed at AOL.COM Ramcreed at AOL.COM
Mon May 7 21:55:29 UTC 2001

My name is Richard Creed, and I am a columnist for the Winston-Salem (NC)
Journal. I frequently write about words and language. I am trying to trace
the oral use of "ax" (or "ax") for "ask." I, like many other people, had
assumed that it was peculiar to African-Americans, but I have now learned
better. A friend has called my attention to a CD put out by The Irish Tenors.
In a couple of songs, they used "axed" for "asked," and a little songbook
accompanying the album has it spelled that way. If anyone can supply any
information about the origin and/or the regions in which this usage is known,
I would be most grateful.