query: extra IS

Jesse Sheidlower jester at PANIX.COM
Tue May 8 11:52:26 UTC 2001

> bolinger 1986 is the only source we have on the phenomenon; does
> anyone know anything else?

There were two articles written at roughly the same time. I don't have
the references at hand--I'm at a conference--but one was in an Australian
linguistics journal, and the other from the Cognitive Linguistics in
the Redwoods volume. The subject has come up on LinguistList before.

I've seen no written examples (but I've recorded a hell of a lot of
spoken ones), though I have searched for it in spoken corpora and
found a lot of citations.

Jesse Sheidlower
OED