Tashkent eats

Bapopik at AOL.COM Bapopik at AOL.COM
Tue May 8 16:55:49 UTC 2001

   Greetings from Tashkent.  The Sheraton internet connection here is slow as anywhere in the world, and they're charging a mere thirty dollars an hour.
   This proverb is in the Tashkent section of CENTRAL ASIA: A TRAVELER'S COMPANION (1993) by Kathleen Murray, pg. 206:

   Girls were always married very young, in line with the Sart proverb: "Do not keep salt long or it will damp.  Do not keep a young girl or she will spoil."

   The Omar Khayyam Lobby Bar here offers a "Bukhara's Bounty" mocktail, but the lobby girl here couldn't explain it to me.
   A lobby snack is "Wings on Fire" chicken wings.  Back in NYC, I had noticed that a lot of things are now "fire-kissed."
   The Sheraton restaurant considers these to be local dishes:
Shurpa
Lagman
Manti
Chuckwara--homemade stuffed pasta, poached in stock, served on a bed of rich tomato sauce, topped with fried onions and herbs.

   From the CAFE-BAR "EAST MERIDIAN":

Japanese salad--beef, vegetable with soy sauce
Moscow salad--mixed crab, picked corn, rice, mayonnaise
"Tenderness"--cabbage, mayonnaise
Bulgarian salad
Arbat salad--boiled mushrooms, cucumbers, mayonnaise
Star of East--chicken, walnuts, orange, olive
"S boduna"--pickled mushrooms, salty cucumbers
"Temptation"--apple, cheese, eggs, mayonnaise
Vavilon--bacon, bean, olive, rusks
New Moscow Salad--corn, apple, mayonnaise, crab sticks, eggs
Greece taste--bacon, orange, rusks
Shurpa--lamb soup with vegetables
Okroshka
Solianka
Pine forest--mushrooms
Cheese Ludovik
Chelagach (barbecue pork)
Lepeska (Uzbek bread)
Fish "a-la Bethoven"
"Enjoy" (beef with limon sauce)
"Fantasy" (diet vegetable)
"Moscow" fish (fish, mushrooms, cream)
"Russian" fish (white cream sauce)
Shanghai fish (fried fish with soy sauce)
"Shar-shara" (beef kabob)
Schnizel "Rivera"
Schnizel "Golschein"
Schnizel "Roman holiday"
Zrazy (beef rissoles with mushrooms inside)
Rumpsteak as Budapest
Chicken as ministry
"Dream"
Bavaria pork
Alexandria pork
"Riding-habit"

(I HOPE THIS LETTER DOESN'T COST MORE THAN DINNER!!!)