Leather Water Bottle

Gregory {Greg} Downing gd2 at NYU.EDU
Fri May 11 18:16:02 UTC 2001

At 01:01 PM 5/11/2001 -0500, Kent Fletcher wrote:
>Per Merriam-Webster: One entry found for bota.
>
>                     Main Entry: bo·ta
>                     Pronunciation: 'bO-t&
>                     Etymology: Spanish, from Late Latin buttis cask
>                     Date: 1832
>                     : a leather bottle (as for wine)
>
>Popular during the 60s and 70s, I believe.
>
>Kent Fletcher
>Arlington, TX
>YN1, USNR Retired

OED2:

bota
[Sp.]
1. A small leather bottle for holding wine.
1832 W. Irving Alhambra 20 His bota, or leathern bottle, which was of portly
dimensions, filled to the neck with choice Valdepeñas wine.
1923 Blackw. Mag. Aug. 180/2 The bota was unslung, and we all toasted one
another in tarry wine.
1940 E. Hemingway For whom Bell Tolls xxi. 267 Give me the bota with wine.

Greg Downing, at greg.downing at nyu.edu or gd2 at nyu.edu