Donkey with Lipstick; Retirement Proverb

Barry Popik bapopik at HOTMAIL.COM
Mon May 14 14:39:44 UTC 2001

   Greetings from Karakol.  AOL is not working, and this is very slow.
Www.octopus.kg is supposedly a good web site for Kyrgyzstan.  I leave for
Kazakhstan tomorrow.

DONKEY WITH LIPSTICK

   A critic of President Bush's energy plan said this yesterday on CNN:

   "You don't want to dance with a donkey just because they put lipstick on
it."

    I've also heard "lipstick on  a frog" as something unattractive made
attractive.

RETIREMENT PROVERB

   That guy from Philadelphia, MO, came up with some more, but, well, I'd
rather not list them just now.  He also had the following:

Retirement sucks.  You never get a day off.

   An MO proverb that is somewhat clean is this one:

She's two days older than dirt.
(Can also be two years--ed.)

   Perhaps clean is:

If bullshit was music, you'd be a one-person symphony.

   For a tightwad:

Tighter than bark on a tree.

   Ah...I'd better stop there.