Apology Bonus; Bustblocker; Kosher Hotels (1919)

Bapopik at AOL.COM Bapopik at AOL.COM
Sun May 20 12:02:43 UTC 2001

APOLOGY BONUS

   Catching up on my reading.
   From the WALL STREET JOURNAL, 4 May 2001, pg. B1, col. 2:

_Graduating Students Weigh New Job Incentive: Money to Stay Away_
(...)  Employers from coast to coast, particularly those in the battered technology sector, are paying college and M.B.A. students to stay away, as the slowing economy forces them to rethink job offers they made months earlier.  Nearly two dozen companies, from tiny start-ups like Pixo Inc. to behemoths like _Intel_ Corp. (In bold because of a box revealing that Intel pays the signing bonus and two months pay--ed.), are offering "apology" or "reverse hiring" bonuses to students who accepted offers for jobs after graduation.

("Money means never having to say you're sorry" might be a good proverb here--ed.)

BUSTBLOCKER

   It's almost Memorial Day, time for those blockbuster movies.
   I've seen "bustblocker" for blockbusters gone bad, and also for Blockbuster Video.
   "Buckblaster" is less frequent.

KOSHER HOTELS (1919)

   William Safire's column today discusses "bialy."  About a year ago, I discussed the same book on the bialy and--OK, I'll stop.
   The only interesting "kosher food" book in the NYPL before, say, 1960, is this:

DIRECTORY OF KOSHER HOTELS, BOARDING HOUSES AND RESTAURANTS IN THE UNITED STATES
Compiled and published by United Synagogue of America
New York
48 pages
1919

Pg. 8 ad:
THE ORIGINAL HOROWITZ'S MATZOTHS
Thirty-Five Years The Best
(...)
Horowitz Bros. & Margareten, Inc.
369-379 East Fourth Street
New York City, U.S.A.

   This is an interesting document for the "Borscht Belt."  Several Catskill hotels advertise here, such as the Breezy Hill Hotel (Fleischmanns, NY) and the Grampian ("High Grade Kosher Hotel, in Finest Section of the Catskill Mountains").
   Unfortunately, "Borsht Belt," "bagel," "lox," "bialy," "knish," and others are not here.
   This is the only book of this type?  Was there no other volume like this for 50 years????