"Some of My Best Friends Are Yale Men " (1925)

Bapopik at AOL.COM Bapopik at AOL.COM
Fri May 25 00:45:49 UTC 2001

   President George W. Bush spoke at Yale recently.  Someone who reviewed it used the Molly Ivins name "Shrub."  There is a web site of Bush names at www.geocities.com/CapitolHill/3750/name.htm.  "Bushwa" hasn't reached the general public.
   An ADS-L discussion of a year ago was the 1930s phrase "some of my best friends are Jewish."  It appears that Yale had "some of my best friends" first; this is a second cite from the 1920s:

   WAKE UP THE ECHOES
FROM THE SPORTS PAGES OF THE
NEW YORK HERALD TRIBUNE
Edited by Bob Cooke
Hanover House, Garden City, NY
1956

Pg. 157:
_Some of My Best Friends Are Yale Men_
HEYWOOD BROUN
1925.  A certain unfriendliness exists between Yale and Harvard men according to Heywood Broun, a Harvard man.
(...)
(Pg. 158--ed.)
   Some of my best friends are Yale men and there is no basis for the common Harvard assumption that graduates of New Haven's leading university are of necessity inferior to the breed at Cambridge.

(New Haven's leading university?--ed.)