"Carded"--not heard before 1968 in NYC

Mark Odegard markodegard at HOTMAIL.COM
Fri May 25 09:41:22 UTC 2001

A. Maberry:

--start quote--
So, the OLCC (Oregon Liquor Control Commission) issued what we
called, not surprizingly OLCC cards, which were plastic photo ID cards
proving the bearer to be of legal age--sort of a license to drink.  Since
your license was little or no proof, bartenders, grocery clerks etc., had to
see your "card" not your license. Hence, in Oregon at least, one was always
carded.
--end quote--

The Oregon law may be the origin of the verb 'card'. I do remember how ever
so much more liberal OR was vis-a-vis CA, back in '71 or so. Really, I do.

I do remember trying to convince my grandmother to get herself a photo ID a
la a drivers license. Her only ID was her social security card. And she was
born in Norway, and lacked anything that said she was a US citizan,
notwithstanding her monthly SS check, and the bank that was happy to cash
it.