Possessive form of Y'ALL

Fri May 25 11:51:53 UTC 2001

This is a case of "you all" not being "you all" at all (just like
every "white FISH" is not a "WHITE fish"). If you scan the verse, you
will see that stresses are assigned as follows (to the line is
question):

SO, good NIGHT unTO you ALL.

People who don't even know what what grits are can say "you ALL"; the
bisyllabic southern expression is "YOU all." "you ALL" is not under
discussion here.

(Of course, the "true" southerners who give us monosyllabic 'y'all'
avoid this confusion.)

dInIs

--
Dennis R. Preston