Tripartisonship; Market Making & Stepping in Front

Bapopik at AOL.COM Bapopik at AOL.COM
Fri May 25 17:16:28 UTC 2001

TRIPARTISONSHIP

   From the WALL STREET JOURNAL, 25 May 2001, pg. A16, cols. 3-6 headline:

_Sen. Jeffords Defects From GOP, Creating Era of "Tripartisonship"_

(Others call it treason--ed.)

MARKET MAKING & STEPPING IN FRONT

   From the WALL STREET JOURNAL, 25 May 2001, pg. C17, col. 4:

   This differs from the traditional practice, in which traders risk their own capital to make buy and sell orders match, a practice known in Nasdaq trading as "market making."

   From the same article, col. 6:

   For example, institutional investors have complained that traders regularly add penny-size additions to stock orders in order to reap profits, a practice known as "stepping in front" of trades.

MISC.

TRENCHLESS TECHNOLOGIES--Used in the NEW YORK OBSERVER, 28 May 2001, pg. 1, col. 2.  Needed in NYC so we don't have to dig up all of Fifth Avenue to replace a pipe from 1870.

THAT'S A SPICY MEATBALL--My friend says that this catchphrase comes from a character on the old Abbott & Costello show.

FOUR BALLS--I always thought the "balls" were the musical notes.  Such as "three-octave range."