skank vs. dirt

Douglas Bigham TlhovwI at AOL.COM
Fri May 25 19:12:36 UTC 2001

Does anyone know if "dirt" is a widespread synonym for "skank" or if this is just idiosyncratic?
i.e. "I would never date a sleezy, grodie, white-trash SKANK/DIRT like her."

I ran into this in highschool once on a field trip to Springfield,IL and then again just recently, but I have no clue where the second speaker was from.

When I first heard it I thought it was idiosyncratic, but then I heard it again from a very different source.  So now I don't know.

thanks
-dsb
Douglas S. Bigham
Southern Illinois University - Carbondale