Tripartisonship; Market Making & Stepping in Front

Peter A. McGraw pmcgraw at LINFIELD.EDU
Fri May 25 21:10:23 UTC 2001

I remember the commercial.  I don't remember the prop falling apart, but I
do remember that it was for Alka-Selzer or some similar remedy.  The "plot"
was the filming of an ostensible spaghetti commercial, and with retake
after retake, each of which called for him to sample the spaghetti and
exclaim, "Mama mia, 'atsa some spicy meatball," the man looked and acted
progressively sicker.  I think late 60s seems a bit too early--more like
70s or 80s.  I THINK it was after the famous "I can't believe I ate that
whole thing" and "Try it, you'll like it" commercials.

Peter Mc.

--On Friday, May 25, 2001 11:13 AM -0700 "A. Maberry"
<maberry at U.WASHINGTON.EDU> wrote:

> On Fri, 25 May 2001 Bapopik at AOL.COM wrote:
>>
>> THAT'S A SPICY MEATBALL--My friend says that this catchphrase comes from
>   character on the old Abbott & Costello show.
>
> That might be. I also remember a sort of off-the-wall commercial for some
> canned spaghetti and meatballs the plot of which was that the  "star" is
> an actor playing an Italian guy  making a commerical for spaghetti
> and trying, unsuccessfully to say the phrase "At'sa spicy meatball". When
> he finally does say it correctly, some other prop like the stove in the
> background falls apart. Late 1960s early 1970s?
>
> allen
> maberry at u.washington.edu

                               Peter A. McGraw
                   Linfield College   *   McMinnville, OR