Minority (continued)

Fred Shapiro fred.shapiro at YALE.EDU
Sun May 27 02:33:27 UTC 2001

Here are some other early citations for _minority_, OED sense 3.b. (dated
1921 by OED):

1857 Henry T. Tuckerman _Biographical Essays_ 238  The establishment and
grrowth of political and religious minorities transplanted from ancient
states and hierarchies.

1910 Emily G. Balch _Our Slavic Fellow Citizens_ 130  The Ruthenians
claim...they [Poles] use their power to oppress the racial minority.

I have not checked Making of America, Internet Library of Early Journals,
or Early Canadiana Online. so there may well be earlier examples readily
discoverable.

Fred Shapiro

Associate Librarian for Public Services     YALE DICTIONARY OF QUOTATIONS
  and Lecturer in Legal Research            Yale University Press,