"Shrek" anachronisms

Bapopik at AOL.COM Bapopik at AOL.COM
Tue May 29 05:29:41 UTC 2001

   This continues discussion of movie language.  I could do more, but I don't feel like sitting through three hours of PEARL HARBOR.
   Www.movie-mistakes.com is an interesting site, but language anachronisms is not a major part of it.
   SHREK (www.shrek.com) is an animated feature that takes place somewhere in fairytale-land.  That's maybe Europe in King Arthur's time.
   The characters all use American slang!
   Mike Myers is the ogre who gives it his "If it's not Scottish, it's crap!" accent from SATURDAY NIGHT LIVE.
   John Lithgow is the less-than-charming prince (he's the actor from the tv sitcom THIRD ROCK FROM THE SUN).
   Cameron Diaz (the spokewoman for an English language school in Japan) overcomes her native Japanese and talks like she's from a princess from California.
   Eddie Murphy (who previously did anachronistic black American shtick in MULAN) is the jive-talking donkey.
   FWIW:

O.K.
Cool!
24-7
It's on my to-do list
For the love of Pete
See you later!
Bye-bye!
Eat me! (Spoken by a gingerbread man--ed.)
Wake up and smell the pheremones!
Give it up for Snow White!
You are what you eat
Parfaits
Sushi
Martinis
Tic-tacs (Brand name American product--ed.)
Superfly
Time out!
I'm not your type
Job description